Voting on Telos
Governance is the technology of allowing people to make decisions together. This guide will show you how voting works on Telos
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Table of Contents1. Validator VotingMethod 1: EOS AuthorityMethod 2: Anchor2. Voting methods2.1 Telos Decide2.2 Decide Voter
“Governance is the technology of allowing people to make decisions together. The broader and more inclusive the participation enabled by government, the more people will be able to guide their own government and build consensus about the operation of their societies, without depending on the threat or reality of violence to enforce compliance.” - Douglas Horn
Strong governance is integral for this protocol to succeed, and Telos has proven this with flying colors. The Telos governance model can be found in many areas of the network’s operations, such as voting on validators, funding proposals, protocol and governance amendments, as well as committee elections and community polls.
1. Validator Voting
As an example of voting we will take you through the steps of voting for network validators, also known as block producers. Validators are the ones that keep the chain running. They are an essential component in keeping the Telos blockchain online 24/7.
Validators produce Blocks efficiently and they add additional value to the Telos blockchain ecosystem.
This, for example, can be accomplished by being available to Telos tech and non-tech communities, developing useful DAPPs and tools, promoting Telos to a wider audience, participating in problem solving discussions and provide solutions and dealing with issues in a timely manner.
How to vote for validators:
Method 1: EOS Authority
- Go to EOS Authority on the Telos blockchain
- Select 'Vote' from the main menu
- Select '+ Add Account'
- You will then be prompted to select a wallet/signer. We recommend Anchor.
- Once you have signed in you can scroll down to find the list of Telos validators. click on 'Vote for producers'
- Select the Block Producers you vote for
Method 2: Anchor
- Start the Anchor wallet app and unlock the wallet
- A list of blockchains that Anchor wallet supports will open. Choose the Telos blockchain.
- Select 'Import an Existing Account'
- Click 'Import Private Key'
- Go to the 'Governance' section located on the left pane of the Anchor Wallet interface.
- Select a block producer and click on the icon on the right
- Select up to 30 validators you want to vote for and select 'submit vote(s)'
- Return to the top of the page and click the Submit Votes button.
- Finally, confirm your choice of your voice by clicking Submit Votes again.
Done! You’ve just cast your votes!
Validator voting is only one part of governance on Telos. This section show you how to vote for funding proposals, protocol and governance amendments, as well as committee elections and community polls.
2. Voting methods
“For the last two hundred and fifty years, advances in the technology of governance have all been about more efficiently exercising top-down control of the populace. Telos Decide is the first disruptive technology in participatory governance that empowers individuals to better organize themselves into groups that can manage their own governance, without the inherent threat of violence or removal of rights by a government’s existing powers.” - Douglas Horn
2.1 Telos Decide
Telos Decide is a powerful governance engine that exceeds the capabilities of all other major blockchains. Community members have used Telos Decide to vote on changes in legislature, grant funds to community initiatives, modify network economics and much more.
The equitable nature of the tool ensures that all changes represent stakeholder sentiment in a truly democratic yet decentralized fashion. This tool is available to any developers who want to utilize it in their own projects, making honest governance easier to implement than ever before.
This article aims to help you become well prepared to be an active part of our governance process. This is the section where all proposals are launched and voted on by participants with their TLOS.
You will need:
- A Telos Account
- Anchor wallet (recommended)
- Native TLOS currency
- System Resources: NET, RAM, CPU (Refer to “Powering up your account” here)
Instructions to Place Your Vote:
- Login to Telos Decide
- Log in with Anchor Wallet (Launch Anchor)
- Sign the identity request in your wallet that pops up then you will be logged in. Both the Anchor desktop and mobile wallets are supported.
- NOTE: In very rare cases, you may need to reset/reboot your anchor wallet if there is no signing request.
- Select “Join Groups” to Register as a Voter
- Click 'Register' under Telos Governance Token
- Sign the request on Anchor
- Important note: If your account is “fresh” or you are missing required resources, this may result in an error message. Please refer to “Powering up your account” This will resolve the issues in most instances.
- Click on the 'Decide' dropdown tab and then 'Amend Ballots'
- You are now all set to participate in the Telos governance!
What to do next:
- Find the proposal you wish to interact with & vote by clicking on the button under the amendment of your interest to cast a vote.
- Place your vote.
- You will be prompted to sign the transaction to cast a vote.
- Once the transaction executes a success green notification will pop up, and you can also view the transactions on the sidebar.
Read more about Telos Decide here.
2.2 Decide Voter
Instructions to Place Your Vote:
- Install the Decide Voter Mobile App
- Make sure you have Anchor Wallet installed on your Mobile phone and assure the account(s) you are intending to use are imported.
- Open up Decide Voter on mobile
- Click on the plus button to import/verify the account by signing the transaction on Anchor mobile.
- Select 'Explore' to view amendments.
- Select the Ballot you would like to vote on. click on it to expand and see more details. Click on the small arrow to enter the ballot.
- Scroll down the selected Amendment and view the details. Then, decide on your vote.
- Cast your Vote on a Ballot.
- Lastly, sign the transaction
Please verify that the correct account is selected in this step. In rare cases, if you are voting with more than one account, the drop-down may not change when swapping the account.
Done. Now you can view the updated status on the Amendment page to verify the vote has been accounted for on-chain.
Read more about Decide Voter here.
Voila, you now know how to use our Decide System apps and are prepared to be an active part of our governance process! If you have any questions, send a message on our Telegram.
If you've found this helpful, please vote for us on https://eosauthority.com/vote/producers?network=telos